A new session of RCIA will
begin in September of 2017.
What is the RCIA?
RCIA stands for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults and it is the process through which people join or complete their initiation into the Catholic Church.
Is the RCIA for me?
The RCIA is for three groups of people:
- Those who are not baptized.
- Those who were baptized into another Christian denomination and wish to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church.
- Baptized Catholics who were never formed in the Catholic faith and have not completed their initiation; that is, who have received neither of the sacraments of Confirmation and Eucharist.
How does the RCIA work?
RCIA consists of four periods of formation which are marked by rituals that celebrate what has been completed and call a person into the next phase. There is no specific length of time for each period. The RCIA is a journey that "takes as long as it takes," according to each individual.
- The Inquiry or Precatechumenate
- The Catechumenate
- The Lenten period of Purification and Enlightenment
- Mystagogy or a time of deeper understanding of the "mysteries"
If your would like more information about the RCIA process, please call the parish office at 603-448-1262.